Environment, Health, Safety, and Security (EHSS) is at the heart of every decision we make. We acknowledge that we operate in the mining and mineral processing sector, which has potential hazards, and therefore sound EHSS management is fundamental to our business. We firmly believe all incidents are avoidable when risk is managed proactively.
Our established EHSS Policy and Management System Framework contains the guiding principles that empower the following undertakings:
- We are committed to complying with all applicable EHSS laws, regulations, and obligations;
- Our EHSS management focuses on properly mitigating hazardous aspects of Ma’aden activities to achieve world-class performance beyond regulatory compliance to prevent EHSS incidents, ensure workers’ wellbeing, optimize resource conservation and energy efficiency, waste minimization, emissions reduction, and ensure biodiversity conservation;
- We enable and practice safe and healthy lifestyles and behaviors both on and off the job;
- We implement systems and provide equipment to prevent harm to people and the environment to enable a healthy, safe, secure and environmentally responsible workplace;
- We integrate sound EHSS management throughout the whole lifecycle of our assets and products, spanning their full value chain in Ma’aden, including development, procurement, operation and maintenance, decommissioning of mines, and rehabilitation.
- We actively engage our stakeholders, including our employees, investors, supply chain, local communities, and customers to understand their EHSS objectives and address their concerns;
- We are committed to providing best-in-class training and ensuring the capability, competency, and wellbeing of our employees across our facilities and affiliates;
- We will work closely with our contractors to ensure that they have appropriate EHSS management systems that will guarantee only qualified contractors’ personnel are working at our facilities and affiliates;
- Our EHSS objectives and continual improvement plans are based on proactive risk management, which aims to progressively prevent and minimize impacts, losses, and injuries;
- We will investigate all our EHSS incidents to identify root causes, learn from incidents both within and outside of Ma'aden to continuously improve our operational excellence, and comprehensively and transparently report on all aspects of our EHSS performance.
We recognize that our EHSS culture, management, and performance is dependent on our leadership at all levels and the ownership of each and every one of us.
We accordingly established a set of Safety Objectives for Ma’aden;
- Safety to be a lifestyle and comes first in everything we do
- Everyone can speak freely about Health, Safety, Security and Environmental concerns
- Everyone is competent to be safe in their role and be a role model in Safety
- We work together to get Ma’aden recognized as a world leader in safety
- Understand why things go right and focus on making things go right all the time.
- Be proactive in the elimination and control of risk
- Utilize our safety resources intelligently, focusing on those programs, projects and initiatives that deliver the biggest benefit for all Ma’aden and its employees.
Safety Culture Transformation Program (SafeSTEPS)
Under Ma’aden Strategy 2025, our Environment, Health, Safety and the Security Strategic Direction is to build a positive safety culture and a workplace that is free of incidents and injuries. With this in mind, we have developed and is implementing a holistic Safety Culture Transformation Program to drive behavioral change at Ma’aden.
The main objective of the Safety Culture Transformation Program is to shift from a reactive, performance-based approach to safety to a proactive, risk-based approach. In support of this Program, we are integrating environment, health, safety, and security requirements into all business functions, processes and systems. The essence of the Program is captured in its brand, SafeSTEPS, which stands for the steps we should all follow when faced with EHSS risks: Stop, Think, Evaluate and Proceed Safely. Perform a specific task only if it is safe to do so.