Published Date: Mar 23, 2023
The Saudi Arabian Mining Company (“Ma’aden”), and its controlled companies follow a strict approach to protect and respect your personal data and ensure compliance with applicable privacy laws and regulations. Ma’aden will only collect and process personal data to the extent it is permitted to do so and with your consent (where required by applicable laws and regulations), and will process personal data in a lawful, fair, and transparent manner.
This Privacy Notice describes what personal data we are collecting and how we process it, why we collect your personal data, how you can manage and delete your personal data and exercise your rights, and who to reach out to for further information and/or to raise complaints.
Generally, Ma’aden is a controller or its equivalent under applicable privacy laws where Ma’aden decides how and why personal data is used. Where we act as a processor or its equivalent in our capacity of providing services to a client, we will only use personal data by specific written instructions from our client. In those cases, the client is the data controller or equivalent for that personal data and will be responsible to data subjects for how their personal data is processed. Where applicable and by privacy laws, we shall assist the relevant data controller in complying with your privacy rights.
Your privacy is very important to us. Please review and familiarize yourself with this Privacy Notice.
2. WHAT PERSONAL DATA DO WE COLLECT AND HOW DO WE COLLECT IT?
Ma’aden collects the following personal data in one or more of the following ways:
- Your name or other unique identifier, such as a phone number, identification number, date of birth, location, email address, etc. Ma’aden uses this information in order to contact you in response to your request or to send marketing communications (if you have specifically requested to receive marketing communications).
- On the ‘Contact Us’ page: Ma’aden uses the contact information you submit to enable us to respond to a general or business inquiry made by you, or on behalf of the company that you represent.
- When you use our Subscription Center and online services: Ma’aden uses the information you provide, such as your name and email address, to provide subscription services. The subscription center also keeps track of your communication preferences and areas of interest (such as receiving newsletters and/or marketing materials) that you have either opted into or out of.
- Our career portal: Ma’aden collects education and employment information when you submit employment application for a role at Ma’aden via our career portal.
- Email communications: If you receive our marketing communications, we will track when you receive, open, click a link in, or share an e-mail you receive from Ma’aden.
- Visitors to Maaden’s premises or attendees of Maaden’s events and business engagements: For security purposes, Maaden’s security personnel may collect your identification number and/or identification documents (e.g. National ID, Passport, Driver License, etc.) at the entrance as part of the identity verification procedures and as required by the applicable laws and regulations.
- Video surveillance using CCTV camera footage and logs: The Industrial Security Department personnel has sole access to the CCTV. All Ma’aden facilitates are monitored by CCTV.
- Financial information: Such as bank account details, salary slip, and invoices.
- Information from other sources (as permitted by law): Depending on your relationship with Ma’aden, Maa’den may receive information about you from other sources, including but not limited to data vendors, insurance providers, auditors, travel service providers, consulting firms, background check service providers, and social media to ensure the accuracy and completeness of your personal data.
3. PURPOSE AND LAWFUL BASIS FOR PROCESSING PERSONAL DATA
Ma’aden will only process your personal data when it has a legal basis for doing so. In particular, Ma’aden processes your personal data when the processing is required for the performance of our contract with you, when we are legally obliged to do so, or when the processing is necessary for the legitimate interests of Ma’aden (or those of third parties). Where required by applicable law, Ma’aden will also obtain your consent to process your personal data. We will process your personal data for specific and limited purposes which are linked to a legal basis set out above. These purposes are further detailed below:
Consent: Where we require your consent, you will find opt-in mechanisms and you will have the ability to always withdraw consent. In many cases, implied consent might be provided by you, as permitted by applicable laws and regulations.
Contract: Where we need to perform a contract that we are about to enter into or have entered into performing an agreement with you. For example, when we perform services for you.
Legal or regulatory obligation: This includes maintaining records and performing compliance screenings such as anti-money laundering, financial or credit checks, fraud, and crime prevention and detection analysis, and screening for compliance with trade sanctions and embargo laws. This also includes automated checks of personal data you provide about your identity against relevant databases, contacting you to confirm your identity, making records of our communications with you for compliance purposes, or to ensure adherence to applicable laws.
Legitimate interests: This is when it is necessary for our legitimate interests or those of a third party, and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests. Our legitimate interest will include, for example, market research purposes, marketing purposes, and appropriate controls to ensure our website, processes, and procedures are running effectively, for the prevention and detention of fraud and for Information Technology (IT) security purposes. You can contact us for further information about how we assess our legitimate interests and any potential impact on you in respect to specific activities.
Ma’aden shall only process the received information to pursue our legitimate business interests. This includes, but is not limited to, screening resumes of prospective candidates, establishing communication with prospective customers (whom you represent) and personnel with general/business inquiries, and enhancing our user experience. If processing personal data is subject to any other data protection laws, then the lawful basis for processing personal data may be different from that set out above. In those circumstances, the processing will be based on the applicable local laws.
4. PERSONAL DATA SECURITY
Ma’aden implements robust industry standard security measures to protect any personal data we process, including but not limited to:
- Restricting access to your personal data for Ma’aden employees strictly on a need-to-know basis, such as responding to an inquiry or request and in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Implementation of physical, electronic, administrative, technical, and procedural safeguards that comply with applicable rules, laws, legislation, and regulations to protect your personal data from unauthorized or inappropriate access, alteration, disclosure, unlawful processing, accidental loss, damage, and/or destruction.
- Imposing disciplinary action against Ma’aden employees who misuse personal data, which is a violation of Ma’aden policies.
- Requirements on third-party vendors, if used by Ma’aden in certain circumstances, who act as data processors of your personal data on behalf of Maaden to implement similar security and control measures.
5. INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS OF PERSONAL DATA:
Depending on the nature and the type of personal data and its legitimate processing purposes, Maaden may in some cases transfer personal data outside of your local jurisdiction. These jurisdictions may have data privacy laws that are distinct from the local laws and may not be up to scale. As such, Ma’aden will be obtaining the list of all data processors (suppliers) located outside the local jurisdiction it deals with and ensure that the organizational measures (legal and security) undertaken by these suppliers are sufficient prior to transfer personal data outside Saudi Arabia.
6. HOW WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Ma’aden collects Personal Data from you and may store it in one or more databases hosted by third parties. Generally, these third parties do not use or have access to your personal data for any purpose other than cloud storage and retrieval. However, on certain occasions, Ma’aden may need to disclose, transfer or otherwise share your personal data with a third party for legitimate interests.
- Ma’aden may share your personal data with service providers, which, depending on your relationship with Ma’aden, may include but are not limited to travel service providers, insurance companies, and administration support providers. Personal data shared with these service providers is for business purposes only.
- Where required or permitted by law, information may be provided to others, such as but not limited to regulators and enforceable government directives.
7. DATA STORAGE AND RETENTION
- Ma’aden shall retain your personal data pursuant to business purposes and in line with our retention policies. We will only keep your personal data for as long as is reasonably necessary, taking into consideration our purposes outlined above or to comply with legal, accounting, or reporting requirements under applicable law(s), unless there is a contractual agreement to retain your personal data for a longer period.
- To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of personal data, the purposes for which we process the personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
- For more information on where and how long your personal data is stored, and for more information on your rights of erasure and portability, please contact our Data Protection Officer, details available in the CONTACT US section below.
8. DATA SUBJECT RIGHTS
Depending on your jurisdiction and subject to applicable local laws, you may have certain rights relating to your personal data processed by Ma’aden. For example, you may have the right to:
- Request access to your personal data and request details of how it is processed.
- Request that your personal data be rectified/corrected if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Request the erasure of your personal data under certain circumstances.
- Request restriction of the processing of your personal data under certain circumstances.
- Object to, and not to be subject to a decision based solely on, automated processing (including profiling), which produces legal outcomes or significantly affects you.
- Withdraw your consent provided in accordance with applicable law. In this case, please note that this does not affect the lawfulness of any processes that occurred prior to your consent being withdrawn.
9. CONTACT US
For issues accessing Ma’aden portal or if you wish to exercise the rights outlined in this Privacy Notice in respect of your personal data, you may submit a data subject request on the link below.
Privacy Rights Request
Published Date: Mar 23, 2023
Cookies are small text files that a website downloads onto your computer or other internet-enabled devices (such as mobile phones and tablets) when you visit a website. The cookies will help the website recognize your device the next time you visit.
Cookies can be used for a variety of purposes such as remembering your preferences, measuring your activity, and optimizing your user experience. Most cookies will not collect information that identifies you. Instead, they will collect more general information such as your location or how you arrive at and use our websites.
This allows our site to recognize your device from those of other users of the sites. Ma’aden may use this data to analyze trends and statistics and to provide better customer service.
3. WHY DO WE COLLECT COOKIES?
Our cookies perform three distinct functions:
- Optimizing and personalizing: Cookies are also used to optimize the web pages that you visit, and to personalize the content that we show you across all our digital assets, based on what we understand about your requirements.
4. TYPES OF COOKIES USED BY MA’ADEN
- Strictly necessary cookies: Always active.
- Targeting cookies: These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.
- Functional Cookies: These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and personalization. They may be set by us or by third-party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies, then some or all these services may not function properly.
- Performance cookies: These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies, we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
5. HOW CAN YOU BLOCK COOKIES?
You can control whether to accept cookies or not. If you decide to not accept cookies, some features and services on our websites will not function properly.
If you would prefer not to accept cookies, you can either:
- Change your browser settings to notify you when you receive a cookie, which lets you choose whether to accept it; or
- Set your browser to automatically not accept any cookies.
- Reject all cookies in the pop-up.
- Select preferences for sharing a specific type of cookie.
For more information on how we handle personal information, please refer to our Privacy Notice.