The Story of Ma’aden
Ma’aden is now among the fastest growing mining companies in the world and the largest multi-commodity mining and metals company in the Middle East. We’ve come a long way since 1997, when we were established by Royal Decree with a mandate to develop Saudi Arabia’s minerals sector as the third pillar of Saudi industry, beyond oil and petrochemicals.
Ma’aden was wholly owned by the Saudi Government until 2008 when 50% of our shares were floated on the Saudi Stock Exchange (Tadawul). Today, Ma’aden is ranked among the top 10 global mining companies based on market capitalization.
After investing significant effort, time and resources in building a world-class, unique and fully integrated mining value chain, we are now focused on marketing our products worldwide, improving the return on our investments and consolidating our resources and experience – even as we continue to develop new locations and build new industrial plants.
In the 20 years since our foundation, we have focussed on gold, phosphate, aluminium, industrial minerals and copper. In the process, we have:
- built a new mining industrial mega-hub (Ras Al Khair), and a second mining city (Wa’ad Al Shamal), both in remote areas of Saudi Arabia;
- contributed significantly to the country’s non-oil GDP;
- created thousands of jobs within a new mining industry work force;
- promoted new downstream industries;
- supported local communities through health, education and social initiatives;
- nurtured the development of many small and medium sized Saudi businesses;
- contributed to building new infrastructure facilities, and
- attracted significant foreign direct investment and advanced technology.
As the leader of the Saudi mining industry, we are committed to embed sustainability across the Ma’aden enterprise. We are committed to act responsibly towards all our stakeholders: shareholders, customers, business partners, employees and the communities in which we operate, as well as the natural environment near our facilities.